12/6/09

Sunday

We are sick. Sick with colds, the kind that make you cough and cough until you almost throw up. The kind of cold that makes your head pound with every cough. We stayed home from church today. Daddy is the only one not sick. He has left on travel this afternoon and will be gone all week. I made bread for him to take with him, per his request. I made cinnamon swirl bread, large and small loaves, and cinnamon rolls. I have a new method. I sprinkle my counter with cinnamon sugar and then roll the dough out on it, and then put butter and cinnamon sugar on top. Then I roll it and it has the tasty cinnamon goodness on both sides. It's pretty tasty, I must say, and makes really good toast! This week I cooked a turkey from its frozen state. I wasn't sure about it, but the good old Internet came through for me and not thawing the turkey is actually recommended by the govt. food people and the turkey hotline. Who knew? Anyway, it of course yielded much turkey, so today I made Tex-Mex Turkey soup. Very tasty! It's basically a variation on taco soup. The salsa bottle slipped while I was adding it, per the recipe, so it's kinda spicy, but maybe it will clear out all the goopiness from my cold. Kelsey gobbled it up. I diluted it a little with some water so it wouldn't make the steam come out of her ears. She's so funny. Such an independent little sass, but still wants to nurse constantly throughout the day. I've been toying with the idea of weaning her, but I receive such fabulous physical side effects myself, that I have serious reservations. Plus, everything that ends with Kelsey is really the last I'll experience, since she's the end of the baby road for me. Everything is a little harder for me to give up with her than with Jeremy. I got very melancholy taking down the crib. Sometimes I feel so happy they are growing up and becoming less dependent on me, cause it can be exhausting, but the little babies are so cuddly and fun to hold. My children are very precious to me, in a way that is hard to explain to anyone that never struggled to get pregnant. Tonight I'm thankful that we get the First Presidency Christmas devotional on our TV at home. There's no way we're making it to the Stake Center tonight. As I turned the BYU channel on to get ready for the broadcast, I caught a talk by President Eyring. I will leave you with a quote that struck me.
"The most important and most difficult trial for us all is to become clean and know that we are."
-President Henry B. Eyring

3 comments:

Cherish said...

Mmm look at you, Ms. Cinnamon baking genius. I'll have to try that.

I'm thankful for your post about especially valuing your babies, as I'm having a hard time this holiday season. I was so grateful to watch the Christmas devotional tonight. I needed a little boost. This Christmas marks 2 years and I sure hope Santa brings me what I want this year! Love you! Can't wait to see you!

Kristine said...

Great idea about the cinnamon sugar. Hope y'all get to feeling better soon!

Angie said...

Ooh...that bread sounds great! Love your method. :) Hope you all get feeling better soon!