skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Reflections on Teaching Jeremy
So, so far the biggest challenge of homeschooling is figuring out what Jeremy grasps right away and what he is challenged by. I have worked on homework with a number of different children when they came home from school, and it's amazing how different the children all are and how they all have different strengths. I know it's good for everyone to experience the basic elements of learning, but I wish somehow we could celebrate each child's accomplishments and strengths without comparing them to how others are doing. They can't possibly all excel in the same things, and it's good, because we need different kinds of brains in the world. I'm so thankful that I have the opportunity to work with Jeremy and not rush him through concepts he may be having trouble with and whiz by things that are so easy for him. Nothing makes him learn better than my positive input and response to his efforts. I'm really excited to be able to expand our program after the baby comes and take advantage of all the opportunities that will make his school experience a great one! So many groups to interact with and fun things to do to learn and grow that just require me to feel good, so we can go experience and conquer! I'm so grateful for a supportive husband who gives his input on what he wants for Jeremy and boosts me up with confidence that we can do it! I'm so grateful for a sweet boy who loves me despite the many mistakes I make in learning how to be the best parent for him. It is such a solemn responsibility to be entrusted with a child sent from our Heavenly Father, and David and I fast and pray over all the life altering decisions we make in behalf of Jeremy. We would never think of doing it alone, because only our Father in Heaven knows what is best for each and every one of His children. He will always guide us if we ask for His help and direction. After all, this is the experience that He wants for us, to learn and grow and to be happy. Seek and ye shall find, ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you.
1 comment:
That was a really touching blog. Definitely, we all learn differently and that's the greatest part about homeschooling is being able to respond to individual needs. Not just learning needs, but physical needs. The need to eat on a frequent basis, to adapt your day if you're not feeling well, to sleep in if you're a late riser. I guess meeting those needs makes it easier to learn so it's all learning needs? I don't know. Anyway, love ya and you're a great mommy!
Post a Comment