3/29/09

Things I've Learned

The older I get, the more I learn about myself by watching other people. I recognize mistakes that I have made by watching other people make the same mistakes and remembering my own. Here are a few things I have learned.

1. You never will know exactly how someone feels, even if you feel your situation is similar. We have all been sent here with different strengths and coping abilities. Every person's life has affected their choices and reactions and they cannot be expected to act the same as you. Just love them.
2. Passion for life and causes is valuable to motivate us, but can make us arrogant and short-sighted about the things that are important to other people. We must always respect others desires and passions if we are to deserve their respect as well.
3. Any situation can be made to sound very dramatic, no matter how innocent or harmless it really was. Entire blame can be shifted and often is, depending on the telling of the story. It is important to not make snap judgements when hearing one side of the story. There is always a different opinion on the other side that should be heard if you feel so inclined to involve yourself in judging a situation.
4. Nothing makes us more unhappy than not owning up to the consequences of our choices. The gift of free agency from our Father in Heaven only allows us to be free when we acknowledge our mistakes as well as our successes and keep learning.
5. You will never be able to make someone else happy. It is every one for themselves. The harder you work to make someone else happy, the more discontented they will become as they become selfish and dependent on your care.
6. The less you trust in God, the harder you have to work. God intended us to be happy, but when we are so caught up in worry and the complexities of life, we forget to trust God. Make the right choices and let God take care of the details.
7. Don't ever put anyone on a pedestal. They will most certainly fall. Love and believe in the goodness of people but don't expect them to be any more flawless than anyone else.
8. Don't expect you'll ever reach a point where you know enough. Learn to live with disappointment. Expect your heart to be broken. Expect a miracle every once in a while. Expect to be amazed by the depth of our Heavenly Father's and Jesus Christ's love for you.

I'm sure the list will be added to in the days and weeks and years to come. I would love to hear some of your insights as well. I have so much to learn.

4 comments:

Deb said...

thanks for reminding me and giving me some great insight. Always good to be reminded. My list of what i learn seems to grow everyday...but I can't seem to keep some from leaking out somehow when more finds its way in!!

Ronda said...

Those are great things to remember!
Thanks..

Adventure Mommy Susan said...

Those are really cool. Thank you for those comments! I have much to learn as well.

Janice said...

You should write a book. These are wonderful, and the way you write them is inspiring.