8/21/10

My Dream House

10 years ago this month we bought our first house. I can hardly believe it's been that long. Due to the lack of funds and handyman knowledge, it looks pretty much the same as it did when we bought it! It is undoubtedly the ugliest house on the block, and has been a continual challenge to us as we have tried to manage the upkeep and learn how to do simple repairs. Despite these things, I am ever grateful for the opportunity we had to buy this house. It has been a home and shelter for our family as we survived our first year of marriage, while David was gone for 5 months to Guam, and when we welcomed each of our babies. David has always looked at houses, and floor plans, and entered sweepstakes for huge multi-million dollar homes. I didn't want to look at anything else because I knew this was all we could afford for now. But David kept telling me to dream big, and as I've come to appreciate our home and the wonderful blessing it's been to us, I've learned how to be truly happy with what we have and still dream of bigger things that may or may not ever come. So taking my husband's advice, here are a few of the features I've decided would be a part of my dream house.
The porch. Huge. Wraparound. Rocking chairs and a swing, pillars and wide steps leading to a beautiful front door.
A library. Oh the endless possibilities for books I could have if only I had a place to put them all.
A sewing room. With room for all the fun fabrics I could find!
The sun room. All warm and cozy in the winter and with screens to let the cool breezes flow through in the summer. Oh the books I could read in here, and the naps I could take. Mmmm...
A play room. Full of all the fun toys and things that are spread all over my house now. Oh the children would be in heaven!
The home theater. So fun! Surround sound, popcorn machine, reclining couches, big screen! Love it!!
The master bath retreat. Relaxation. A big soaking tub with jets and glowing candles reflecting in the beveled windows.
The gazebo. And while we're dreaming big, let's have it overlook the ocean, with music piped in for dancing. The perfect romance.
What would be in your dream house?

6 comments:

Cherish said...

Oh my goodness what awesome pictures you found. I would have window seats too....but the porch is a must in the dream house.

Nic&Rachel said...

I would live in that house! Add to that a dark room, a big yard, and of course a maid to clean up the massive place... Yes please!

Deb said...

I am always taking ideas into my head of my dream house and the features it would have. I will have to look for them and post pics too. But the one I look forward to the most is a perfect mud room/enter way and a great laundry room set up!!!

Kath said...

our dream homes are very similar! jared and I dream big about them all the time, even though we love our sweet but little home.

I would have an old white home that has been retored with a red or blue door and shutters (and definitely the porch you posted).something with character and it feels like a part of history.

I need big trees that we could put a tree house in.

I really would like a hot tub in the ground and jared would love a pool. I'd love for it to be on the ocean or on a lake...

and last...I would love an amazing playroom like the one you posted.

SO FUN TO DREAM.

Ronda said...

I remember your moving day...
Can't wait for ours.

Angie said...

All of that! I LOVE all of it!