9/8/08

Pink Eye and Popcorn

So Jeremy woke up yesterday morning with pink eye. I was a little freaked out because I didn't want the baby to catch it, or anybody else for that matter! I had Daddy take him to the UrgentCare so we could get the eyedrops started right away. I'm kind of bummed too because Daddy is going out of town this week and I had lots of fun plans for us here locally and now we need to stay home and keep Jeremy away from people while he's contagious. Oh well. Jeremy and Daddy stayed home from church and Kelsey and I went since I had a presentation to do in Young Women's. At the beginning of every month we introduce the monthly value to the Young Women. Yesterday I did Good Works. I found this cute story called the Parable of the Popcorn. It sounded like scripture but was all about how we are the kernels and we should pop forth and help the munchers. It's really cute. So I thought I would make popcorn balls for the girls to go with my story. Yeah, so it was quite the adventure. First the recipe called for corn syrup and I didn't have that. So I found directions for a substitute and made that out of boiled sugar and water. Then it called for powdered sugar and I didn't have that either! I need to stock up on some things apparently. So I found directions to make powdered sugar in the blender from sugar and cornstarch. Well I started that and found I didn't have enough white sugar, so I had to add some brown sugar. Oh my gosh! So much food in the house and nothing I needed! I put everything together for the sticky syrup and ended up boiling it over since I was trying to take care of Kelsey and make them at the same time. She wanted to be held and I of course couldn't hold her and cook because that would be dangerous, so I'm running back and forth trying to do it all and it was a mess. The syrup had marshmallows in it too so you can imagine with all that sugar it was really fun to scrape off the oven later. So the first popcorn ball was cute and perfect. After that, nope, not sticking together. Daddy was back and told me he'd never seen popcorn balls turn out. Now he tells me! So I ended up cooling the popcorn on the cookie sheet and then bagging it up as caramel corn. It was tasty, and I guess that's all that counts!

4 comments:

Cory said...

pink eye is really going around right now. my mom has 6 employees at her work with it and her boyfriend has it as well. crazy!

The Greathouse Family said...

Cute idea! Sorry about Jeremy!

Cherish said...

I'm so impressed with your substitutions! You sound like me!

Mindy said...

Wow, you have awesome substitutions. I wouldn't be that ambitious. Good job. Hope Jeremy is doing better.