1/27/11

Thrifty Thursday - Homemade Laundry Detergent

Many many many months ago, I bought the ingredients to make my own laundry detergent. I never got around to making it, but now that we're in our new house and on a tighter budget, I decided now was the time! So last night I got out the ingredients and went to work!

Recipe: 1 cup soap shavings, 1/2 cup borax, 1/2 cup washing soda.

My hubby offered to shave the soap. I got Fels Naptha, which is supposed to work the best, but plain Ivory will work as well.
Just don't use anything with dye in it, as it will stain buttons.
I added the borax and washing soda to the soap shavings.
 I wanted to make the powdered detergent since it takes up less storage space, but I read too late that I should have left my soap out to dry if I wanted it to shave into powder instead of bits.
Oh well, next time!
 In order to dissolve the soap bits into powder so they'll mix with the other ingredients, I had to add hot water and make it into the liquid laundry detergent. It turned into an orange glop just like I'd read about! Next time I want to try adding some essential oils for a customized scent!
  
My clothes came out clean and fresh, and I'm excited to save money!  It was so easy!!

5 comments:

Cherish said...

You're pretty much amazing.

Mindy said...

Okay, I have been reading your blog, but my comment leaving skills have been missing. So I am back to comment on all of your wonderful posts. Your new place looks so nice and what a nice neighborhood. I love that you walked into someone else's house. It is something I would totally do. Love that you got to play in the snow with your kids. You are the coolest Chick-fil-a family ever!!! Do you eat there a lot? How many free meals do you have? So fun. Okay, Homemade laundry soap. I totally agree with Cherish. You are amazing!!!!!

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

Thats what the Duggers Do on "19 Kids and Counting!" Its so easy! How much did it cost you for all the ingredients, and how many loads do you think it will do?? I'd like to try it when we're in a place more permenant!

Still Working At It said...

My sister in law makes her own detergent as well. She says to buy a cheap cheese grater to shave the soap into smaller bits.

Kath said...

I love this! I may just try it.