7/17/08

Adventures in Breastfeeding

So I thought I'd grab a moment while both my babies are asleep. I was in there with them, Jeremy on one side who came to snuggle me and Kelsey on the other in her bassinet, but I couldn't sleep anymore. So anyway, I was talking to my sister the other day and telling her that Kelsey had gotten a little red on her bottom. She told me she swore by spraying their bottoms with breastmilk. I thought wow! I am a big proponent of the magical powers of breastmilk, so I thought it sounded cool. So I'm talking to my sister on the phone and nursing Kelsey and I thought wow I could nurse her on one side and spray her bottom with the other breast, so I was trying that and making a mess, and it was quite an adventure. By the time I figured out how to get it done, there was breastmilk sprayed everywhere. Then last night my friend Kathy had signed up to feed us dinner and she invited us to come over to eat. So in the midst of trying to get ready and feed the baby and be on time for dinner, I forgot my breast pads. So we're sitting there in the middle of dinner and all of a sudden my milk lets down and I think ok, she can eat soon, and then I look down and I have 2 wet circles on my shirt. I went to the bathroom and put some toilet paper in there to absorb. What a mess. Not only was I all wet, but then the toilet paper got all clumpy, which was attractive, and when Kelsey was ready to nurse I was picking off pieces of toilet paper that were adhered to my breast as only toilet paper can do! Mess mess mess. Oh well, I guess it could have been worse. At least we were with friends and not at a photo studio, or something.

5 comments:

The Greathouse Family said...

So...This new talent of yours...Probably not talent show material, but a talent none-the-less!

Ronda said...

I've never heard of the milk to treat a rash....
I know where you're coming from with the wet circles on the t-shirt moments.

Cory said...

i read in parenting magazine a few months ago that breast milk is a cure all. it has natural antibiotics in it so it can be used for tons of stuff. the article said to get cotton balls and express your milk on it, then rub/dab on diaper rash, baby acne (and mom acne too), cuts, scrapes and burns, cradle cap, dry skin. all sorts of stuff. basically anything you would put a topical antibiotic on, you can substitute your breast milk with. i think that's amazing!!

Cherish said...

ROFL! That is hilarious! I can just visualize that double-breasted action!

I read recently that panty liners make a great emergency breast pad. In case it happens again...

Adventure Mommy Susan said...

That made me laugh SO hard! I've so been there. What a great idea from your sister, ha, ha. Mama says you can use breast milk on anything. . . I'm remembering nights that I woke up soaked in breastmilk as well as my entire bed. I should have been selling that stuff for $50 a bottle!!!! What a great business opportunity! he, he